The winter (or summer) cosmology school being a necessary step in a PhD life, we decided to apply as soon as possible for the TransRegio Winter School in Passo del Tonale (Italian Alps). It took place from December 4th to 9th 2011. The school program is quite exciting : cosmology lectures, ski, meetings and parties…what else ?
About 40 PhD students were there and 5 lecturers, each one being an expert in his field :
- Jean-Philippe Uzan (from Institut d’Astrophysique de Paris) for theoretical cosmology and inflation
- Tamara Davis for Large Scale Structures, with a very “conceptual” lecture on the notion of horizon in cosmology
- Joanna Dunkley for the Cosmic Microwave Background and its observation as well as CMB anisotropies (like SZ effect, close to my field)
- Kazuya Koyama for modified gravity theories which aims at going beyond General Relativity and could then get rid of the dark energy problem
- Laura Covi for the particle aspect of cosmology (dark matter detection)
One of the most interesting aspects of this kind of winter school is to establish contacts, not only with the other PhD students coming from the entire world, but also with the lecturers that we met on ski tracks the afternoon and on the dance-floor later in the night !
Not to mention the skiing…
Thanks Julian for the photos, as well as the organizers (Marco Baldi, Angela Lepidi, Valerio Marra, Valeria Pettorino, Ignacy Sawicki, Wessel Valkenburg, Georg Wolschin).